A deadly algae is presenting a danger to dogs in Nelson.
The cyanobacteria algae is at around double normal levels in the Maitai River, because there’s not been much rain recently.
Nelson City Council’s Paul Fisher says a person swimming in the water won’t usually come into contact with the blue-green algae.
But there is a danger to dogs, who might eat it when they’re playing in the water.
“All around the country there’s been cases of dogs over the last four to five years having issues with ingesting cyanobacteria which can often lead to death unfortunately.”
He says the amounts of rain the region tends to get at this time of year usually help keep the algae at bay.
“That’s what we’re basically hoping for really, that we’ll get sufficient rainfall to actually basically wash away the algae.”
Warning signs have been put up around swimming holes.