We need many volunteers to help make the Maitai River a clean, clear and diverse place for the many residents of Nelson to enjoy.
Volunteering may take many forms, from helping write submissions to the council to wading in the river catching fish and eels with members of council staff. The Friends of the Maitai can help the local bodies by supplying people power to get some work done faster. Volunteers can help make project funding go further.
If you are interested in volunteering please take the time to read about each groups activities and select the group or groups you would like to be involved with by going to Get More Involved page.
Donations are a way you can support our work if you aren’t able to volunteer but would still like to support our work. All of our work on planting, monitoring, plant care and lobbying is volunteer but we do have costs such as chemicals and other equipment for water testing, plants, tools etc. Donation information is on the Donate to FOM page.
Ways To Help The Maitai
- If you walk your dog near the river make sure and pick up their poo
- Wash your car at home not in a ford of a river or next to a river
- Take your litter with you don’t leave it in or near the river
- Don’t dump lawn clippings or green waste in or next the river
Drains Go To Streams
Whatever goes down your drain will go into a stream. See below for things to avoid sending down your drain.
- Paint brushes and containers should be washed at an inside sink, not in an outside drain
- Concrete waste water should soak into the ground
- Sediment from earth works should be contained or diverted from going into drains or streams
- Oil and grease can be disposed of at the Transfer Station, it must not go down the drain
- Pick up dog poo around your property so it doesn’t get washed into drains during rain
- Use fertilisers sparingly and don’t spray over concrete
- Swimming and Spa pool water can only go down the drain when free from chemicals and debris
- Sweep your paths around the home rather than let debris from home maintenance get washed into drain
For more detailed advice from the Nelson City Council click here.
Keep the Maitai Didymo Free
- Check: when leaving a river with didymo check for clumps and leave at the river
- Clean: ensure items used in a river are soaked and scrubbed for at least 1 min with a bleach or a home cleaner solution
- Dry: when cleaning is not an option leave the items to dry and do not use in another river for at lease 48hrs
For more details information click here.